If traveling to Hoi An by air, train and cruise ship, visitors will come to Da Nang first and then have a transfer. The largest city of Central Vietnam holds the busiest airport, train station, port and bus stations of the whole region. Some of which are established in the colonial time and the Vietnam war, and their role is still important today. Thanks to not far distance, around 30 km, Da Nang and its sister Hoi An have close connections in traffic. Because of that, there are many choices to allow tourists to choose their best fit to personal plan, budget and taste. A convenient ride is not too much to expect, no matter public or private ones, by yourself or within a group.
To help you to find the transportation best fitted to your requirements, we outline this article. It has a focus on different methods to get to Hoi An by different vehicles, and from different Da Nang’s main traffic facilities. Furthermore, names of fantastic attractions between two cities are also listed. Many travelers include them in their transfer ride to Hoi An, to optimize the time and budget.
- How to Get from Da Nang to Hue
- Hoi An to Da Nang
- Guide to Da Nang Airport
- Guide to Da Nang Train Station
Table of content
- 1 Distance from Da Nang to Hoi An
- 2 Da Nang to Hoi An Taxi
- 3 Da Nang to Hoi An Private Car
- 4 Da Nang to Hoi An by Motorbike
- 5 Da Nang to Hoi An Bus
- 6 Da Nang to Hoi An Boat & Ferry
- 7 Da Nang Airport to Hoi An
- 8 Da Nang Train Station to Hoi An
- 9 Getting to Hoi An from Da Nang Bus Station
- 10 Getting to Hoi An from Tien Sa Port
- 11 Attractions between Da Nang and Hoi An
- 12 Related Posts
- 13 Kim Bong Carpentry Village in Cam Kim Island
- 14 Thanh Ha Fish Market: The Nearest Fish Market of Hoi An
- 15 Da Nang International Airport: Terminals, Transfers, More
- 16 Da Nang International Fireworks Festival
- 17 Da Nang Night River Cruise on Han River
- 18 An Dinh Palace: The Residence of Vietnam’s Last King
- 19 The Best Time to Visit Hoi An
- 20 Hue Tourist Attractions: A List of What You Can See in Hue
- 21 Dong Khanh Tomb: The Lovely Imperial Tomb of Hue City
- 22 Dong Ba Market – Where to Shop and Eat in Hue City Vietnam
- 23 The Bamboo Circus Show (Teh Dar Show) at Hoi An Lune Center
- 24 Cycling in Hoi An: Rental, Where to Cycle and Tours
- 25 Getting from Hue to Hoi An: Which is the Best Way?
- 26 The Official Da Nang Travel Guide [MUST READ]
- 27 Cam Kim Island: The Peaceful Countryside of Hoi An
- 28 Cua Dai Beach: The Famous Beach of Hoi An
- 29 The Japanese Covered Bridge in Hoi An Old Town
- 30 My Lai Massacre Village (Son My Memorial Site) in Quang Ngai
- 31 Non Nuoc Beach: The Famous Beach of Da Nang
- 32 How to Get from Da Nang to My Son Sanctuary
- 33 Thieu Tri Tomb: The Peaceful Royal Tomb of Hue
- 34 Bach Ma National Park: Hiking, Trekking in Da Nang and Hoi An
- 35 Hoi An Wet Season: What to Do in Hoi An When It Rains?
- 36 Hue to Da Nang By Train: The Best Train Ride in Vietnam
- 37 Hue Royal Tombs: A Complete Guide and What is Best?
- 38 The Hue Abandoned Water Park (Thuy Tien Lake Waterpark)
- 39 Minh Mang Tomb Complete Visitor Guide
- 40 Tu Duc Tomb Complete Visitor Guide
- 41 Thanh Ha Terracotta Park
- 42 Vinwonders Nam Hoi An Theme Park (formerly Vinpearl Nam Hoi An)
- 43 Am Phu Cave Complete Travel Guide
- 44 Hoi An or Hue: Which is Better?
- 45 Asia Park and Sun Wheel in Da Nang (Sun World Da Nang Wonders)
- 46 The Official Hoi An Travel Guide (MUST READ)
- 47 The Hoi An Market (Hoi An Central Market) Complete Guide
- 48 Hoi An Memories Show: The Best of Hoi An Impression Theme Park
- 49 How to Get to Golden Bridge from Da Nang
- 50 Hoi An Bridge: Famous Bridges in Hoi An
- 51 Da Nang Food Specialties: What to Eat in Da Nang
- 52 How to Get From Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
- 53 Hoi An’s Chinese Assembly Halls and Chinese Temples
- 54 Hoi An Walking Tours: Heritage, Foods, Photography & Locals
- 55 Hoi An Self Guided Walking Tour (Hoi An By Yourself)
- 56 How to Visit Golden Bridge Vietnam
- 57 Da Nang Shore Excursions: Guided Tours From Tien Sa Port
- 58 Unique Experiences in Hoi An and Why?
- 59 Han Market (Cho Han): Where to Shop in Da Nang?
- 60 An Bang Beach: A Guide to Hoi An’s Best Beach
- 61 Experiences in Hoi An: Get Insight Into Hoi An’s Local Culture
- 62 Da Nang Cathedral (Da Nang Pink Church)
- 63 Featured Tours and Experiences
- 63.0.1 Da Nang Day Trip from Hoi An with Local Food Lunch
- 63.0.2 Da Nang Night Tour from Hoi An with Local Food Dinner
- 63.0.3 Hue to Hoi An Private Car Transfer with Sightseeing (and Vice Versa)
- 63.0.4 Hue to Hoi An Motorbike Tour (and Vice Versa)
- 63.0.5 Hai Van Pass Motorbike Tour from Hoi An or Da Nang
- 63.0.6 Full Day My Lai Massacre Tour with Lunch
- 63.0.7 Golden Bridge and Ba Na Hills Night Tour
- 63.0.8 Golden Hands Bridge Tour In Sunrise or Sunset (1/2 Day)
- 63.0.9 Cam Kim Island Bicycle Tour From Hoi An
- 63.0.10 Cham Island Tour From Hoi An (Group Tour)
- 63.0.11 Cham Island Tour From Da Nang (Group Tour)
- 63.0.12 Hoi An Vegetarian Food Tour
- 63.0.13 Hoi An Evening Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 63.0.14 Private Hoi An Basket Boat Tour (Shuttle Bus, Bicycle, Bike)
- 63.0.15 Half-day Am Phu Cave Tour (Private)
- 63.0.16 Hoi An Countryside Tour (Bicycle, Car, Electric Shuttle)
- 63.0.17 Da Nang Tour Package From Singapore
- 63.0.18 Hoi An Evening Tour From Da Nang
- 63.0.19 Hoi An Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 63.0.20 My Son Sanctuary and Hoi An Old Town Tour with Thu Bon River Cruise
- 63.0.21 My Son Day Trip From Hoi An including Marble Mountains and Basket Boat
- 63.0.22 Half Day Hoi An City Tour With River Cruise
- 63.0.23 Son Tra Peninsula Tour with Marble Mountains (Private/Small Group)
- 63.0.24 Hue Day Trip From Hoi An with Hai Van Pass, River Cruise & Lunch
- 63.0.25 Hoi An Ancient Town and Countryside Tour (Bests of Hoi An Tour)
- 63.0.26 Hoi An Tour From Da Nang Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 63.0.27 Hoi An Day Trip From Da Nang (Marble Mountains, Basket Boat, Old Town)
- 63.0.28 Da Nang City Tour From Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 63.0.29 Hoi An City Tour with Lantern Class, Lantern Boat, Night Market & Local Food Sampling
- 63.0.30 Marble Mountains, Basket Boat Ride & Hoi An Old Town Walking Tour
- 63.0.31 Marble Mountains & Golden Bridge Day Tour with Buffet Lunch
- 63.0.32 Marble Mountains & Monkey Mountain Tour (Half-day, Private)
- 63.0.33 Private Golden Bridge Sunrise Tour (Half-day, Optional Lunch)
- 63.0.34 Hoi An Ancient Town & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 63.0.35 My Son Sanctuary & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 63.0.36 Private My Son Sanctuary Sunrise or Sunset Tour
- 63.0.37 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Countryside Experience With Local
- 63.0.38 Full Day My Son Sanctuary & Hoi An Countryside Tour With Local
- 63.0.39 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Coconut Village Experience
- 63.0.40 Son Tra Peninsula, Marble Mountains and Hoi An City Tour
- 63.0.41 Half-day Marble Mountains Tour from Da Nang or Hoi An
- 63.0.42 Da Nang Cave Tour (Half Day Underground Tour in Da Nang)
- 63.0.43 Hoi An Old Town & Lantern Making Class (Morning Tour, Half-day)
- 63.0.44 Full Day Bests of Da Nang & Hoi An Old Town Walking Tour
- 63.0.45 Full Day My Son Tour From Da Nang with Da Nang City Tour
- 63.0.46 My Son Sanctuary Tour From Hoi An or Da Nang With Local Guide
- 63.0.47 Hue Day Trip from Da Nang or Hoi An via Hai Van Pass with Lunch
- 63.0.48 Full Day Golden Bridge & Ba Na Hills Tour With Buffet Lunch
- 63.0.49 Full Day My Son Sanctuary Tour & Hoi An Old Town With Local
- 63.0.50 Half Day Da Nang Museums and Bridges
Distance from Da Nang to Hoi An
Hoi An is situated 30km south of Da Nang city center core where major transportation facilities are around. There are the international airport, train station and central bus station. Tien Sa port is little further to the northeast, about 35 km away from Hoi An. Thanks to rapid development of new residential areas, the Da Nang’s suburbs are expansive. The southernmost district Ngu Hanh Son is just 15km to the north of the Hoi An Old Town, the most famous tourist attraction.
Da Nang to Hoi An Taxi
Anywhere in the city, travelers can find a taxi to get to the next place. Especially in transportation facilities and famous tourist attractions, the cabbies are available around their entrance at all times. If you can’t see and hail a taxi, should go to the nearest boulevard to have more opportunities, or let locals call. See the table of Da Nang’s taxi companies and cost of each firm to choose the best choice for yourself. Quality and price between them are competitive.
Generally, a ride by taxi from the center of Da Nang to Hoi An charges from 300,000 to 600,000 VND. Four-seat car is the smallest, and the cost of a larger one (7 seatings) is more expensive. If possible, travelers should contact a company in advance, for better deals because the distance is long. It takes from 40 to 60 minutes, depending on the traffic, weather and the last place. An extra fee will be charged if the passengers want to stop and sightsee somewhere for a couple of hours, like the Marble Mountains.
Da Nang Taxi Companies and Cost
Add: 92 2 Thang 9 Rd
-4 seat car: 10,000 to 11,000 VND under 1km ride, 13,500 to 15,000 from 1 to 30 km ride, 11,000 to 12,000 VND for 30km ride above, depending on different types of car.
-7 seat car: 11 to 12,000 VND, 15,500 to 17,000 VND and 13,500 to 14,500 VND respectively
-Waiting fee at attractions: 45,000 VND for an hour.
Add: 227 Nguyen Huu Tho Rd
-4 seat car: 9,000 VND for under 1km ride, 13,000 VND for 1 to 30 km ride and ≈9,500 VND for 30 km ride above
-7 seat car: 10,000 VND, 14,000 VND and ≈11,500 VND respectively.
-Waiting fee at attractions: 50,000 VND for an hour.
Add: 192 Xuan Thuy Rd
-4 seat car: 8,000 VND for under 1km ride, 11,000 VND for 1 to 30 km ride and 9,000 VND for 30 km ride above
-7 seat car: 9,000 VND, 13,000 VND and 11 VND respectively.
-Waiting fee at attractions: fee
Add: 37/1 Dien Bien Phu Rd
-4 seat car: 10,000 VND for under 1km ride, 12,000 VND for 1 to 30 km ride and 11,000 VND for 30 km ride above
-7 seat car: 12,000 VND, 14,500 VND and 13 VND respectively.
-Waiting fee at attractions: 50,000 VND for an hour.
Add: 188 2 Thang 9 Rd
-4 seat car: 9,000 VND for under 1km ride, 11,000 VND for 1 to 30 km ride and 10,000 VND for 30 km ride above
-7 seat car: 11,000 VND, 13,000 VND and 12 VND respectively.
-Waiting fee at attractions: 50,000 VND for an hour.
Add: Duy Tan Rd
-4 seat car: 8,000 VND for under 1km ride, 10,000 VND for 1 to 30 km ride and 9,000 VND for 30 km ride above
-7 seat car: 10,000 VND, 12,000 VND and 11 VND respectively.
-Waiting fee at attractions: 50,000 VND for an hour.
Da Nang to Hoi An Private Car
A private car rental is cheaper than a taxi ride but still keeps the convenience and comfort, making it one of the best ways. Affordable prices for it are from 200,000 to 400,000 VND, mainly depending on the number of seats. This range of cost doesn’t change even if the departure and arrival places are not too far from the city center. If staying overnight in Son Tra peninsula, an additional fee may be charged. The ride lasts around 45 minutes, but may be longer because of weather, traffic congestion and construction.
How to book a private car from Da Nang to Hoi An? In short, whatever international tourist places and sites online and offline you know. There are travel web pages and apps, local tour operators, hotels and more. Should save contacts to get in touch when the driver is not in the arrival gate. We recommend reading our article about transfer from Da Nang airport to Hoi An to see details and comparisons.
To save time, you can contact us to assist, via our whatsapp number +849668009928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Da Nang to Hoi An by Motorbike
For a transfer from Da Nang airport to Hoi An, the motorcycle is not the best choice, because of luggages. But if travelers can handle that or arrive at Da Nang without many bags and suitcases, a bike ride is more special and stunning. It takes the rider from 45 minutes to 1,5hrs, depending on traffic, weather, route and especially skills. Ensure that the valid driving licence is in your wallet to allow local policies to have a quick check. Domestic tourists who book a roundtrip flight to Da Nang, prefer to hire a bike right in the airport, to easily take and return. The day rental ranges from 100,000 to 200,000 VND, no matter non-automatic and automatic types. Fuel excludes, but it’s easy to see a petrol station by boulevards or intersections.
Two major roads from Da Nang to Hoi An are the coastal road Truong Sa and the inner road Le Van Hien. The first features a slower traffic, because many resorts line it but the second is wider. Both provide access to the Marble Mountains, one of most visited attractions in the city.
Read also: Da Nang motorbike rental, Bike tours in Da Nang, Hai Van pass
Da Nang to Hoi An Bus
Public Bus from Da Nang to Hoi An
Bus Stations and The Bus
Transferring by bus from Da Nang to Hoi An is cheapest. At the moment, there is only one choice, No.1 Bus (or Da Nang Hoi An bus). It moves from the Da Nang bus station in Ton Duc Thang St to the Hoi An bus station in Le Hong Phong St, and vice versa. The first terminal is quite far from the city center but convenient to the passengers who just arrive at Da Nang after a bus trip. The Hoi An’s one is closer, walkable to the centre and the Old Town. The full ride lasts around 1,5hrs but from Da Nang downtown, it’s one hour. In which, passengers can choose to sit in backrest chairs at the back and front of the bus, stand and hold the handle or sometimes sit on a low stool when crowded.
Danang to Hoi An Bus Timetable
Da Nang Hoi An Bus departs from the terminals at 5:30 a.m everyday and its last ride is at 5:50 p.m. Its frequency is about 30 minutes. Travelers are advised to come to the pick up points earlier the rescheduled time, to avoid missing.
Cost of Bus from Da Nang to Hoi An
The ticket price of Da Nang Hoi An bus is 20,000 VND and childrens may pay just a half. This is for a whole ride, and no matter where the passengers get on and get off, it doesn’t change. A small additional fee is charged by the attendant, for big backpacks and suitcases (around 10,000 VND). Some tourists met and shared that the change may be not returned if the large denominations are given. So, remembering to prepare small cash to pay for the tickets, to avoid unhappy situations.
Da Nang to Hoi An Bus Route
From Da Nang bus station, No.1 Bus moves along Ton Duc Thang, Dien Bien Phu, Ha Huy Tap and Nguyen Tat Thanh roads before cruising the city downtown. Ong Ich Khiem, Le Duan, Chi Lang, Hung Vuong, Tran Phu and Nui Thanh are the next roads. Drop off points on them allow the passengers to walk to many top tourist attractions and major facilities. There are the train station, Pink church, museums (Museum of Cham sculpture included), markets, three bridges (Dragon bridge included) and many temples. If meaning to explore this oldest part of the city, tracking the map carefully to have a perfect plan.
After crossing the Tran Thi Ly bridge, the bus captain drives along Ngu Hanh Son and Le Van Hien roads, without any turns until arriving at Hoi An bus station. The highlight of this leg is the chance to visit the Marble Mountains. The nearest stopping point is just a few minutes walk from the ticket counters. Since passing by the hills, the ride is almost non-stop.
Shuttle Bus from Danang to Hoi An
Hoi An Express Shuttle Bus
Shuttle bus is the best option for solo travelers who explore Hoi An by themselves. Day to day, Hoi An Express shuttle bus departs every 2 hours from 6 a.m to 10 p.m, from the domestic terminal of the Da Nang airport to 30 Tran Hung Dao St in Hoi An center. After leaving the airfield, the driver will ride along Nguyen Van Linh St, Museum of Cham Sculpture, My Khe Beach, An Bang Beach and Cua Dai Beach. The guests of accommodations in Hoi An center are dropped off without additional fees. The price is 6 USD per person. If brigging luggages that is more than a suitcase and a bag, the passengers may pay extra.
How to book? Hoi An Express shuttle bus is available to preserve in some dependable travel webpages, and in its organizer’s official site hoianexpress.com.vn. Travelers are requested to leave an address, email and phone number. Cancellation is free if announced before 24hrs, and 100% fee if later.
Read also: How to Get from Da Nang to Hue
Da Nang to Hoi An Boat & Ferry
In Da Nang, travelers can get a boat ride along the Han River, but to Hoi An, it’s impossible to find one. A few centuries ago, Co Co (or De Vong) river flowed from the Han River (near the Marble Mountains) to the mouth of the Thu Bon River in Hoi An. It allowed merchant boats to move between two port cities. After the king’s decision in 19th century, traffic on it became busier because the foreign vessels had to come to Da Nang first. This led to a decline in commerce of Hoi An trading post in the end of 19th up to date. At the present, many parts of the Co Co river are filled by the sand. In the near future, the government will dredge, improve to be navigable for tourist boats.
Read also: Da Nang boat trips, Hoi An old town boats, Hoi An basket boat, Hue’s boat trips
Da Nang Airport to Hoi An
Da Nang Airport Location
Da Nang airport is in the downtown, administratively belonging to Hai Chau district. Two wide roads Nguyen Van Linh and Duy Tan connect its international and domestic terminals with the rest of the city. Thanks to this convenient location, travelers by air don’t need to wait too long to see one of Da Nang’s best attractions. Moreover, it’s so easy to look for transportation to get to nearby cities, such as Hoi An and Hue.
Da Nang Airport Transfer to Hoi An
Hoi An is a great city to stay over, and therefore, a transfer from Da Nang airport is needed after the aircraft lands. If preferring a convenient, quick and comfortable ride, just walking outside the arrival terminal, taxis are many to choose from. Private car is another nice choice, usually cheaper than a taxi. It’s easily booked online and offline, with a competitive price. Still easy, convenient and inexpensive, an air-conditioning seat in shuttle buses is the choice for solo travelers. Because of security reasons, motorcycles are not allowed to pick up in the arrivals. So, if would like to get a transfer on it, walking to Duy Tan Rd to look for or book on the apps. Vietnamese often ask to drop the hired bike in the airport, to make full use of the rental. Da Nang Hoi An bus route is away from both terminals, around 2 kilometers from the nearest pick-up points.
All ways to get from Da Nang airport to Hoi An are introduced and compared in another travel guide. Read it here.
Da Nang Train Station to Hoi An
All road vehicles are convenient to get from the central train station of Da Nang to Hoi An. In most hours, taxi cabbies are available around and near the entrance in Hai Phong St. Read information about private car rental here. During the daytime and early evening, train travelers have another choice, xe om or motorbike taxi. If the luggages is not too heavy, take this as an experience. A ride may last from 45 minutes to 1,5hrs, and costs from 150,000 to 300,000 VND. Besides traditional riders, it’s possible to download the Grab on the phone and book one online. The price is the same, but a Vietnamese sim card and internet are required. If prefering to a bus, travelers need to take a 5-minutes walk to 162 Ong Ich Khiem St, to get on No,1 Bus. One seat in the shuttle bus is also easy to book, check out the top providers here.
Read also: Guide to Da Nang train station, Da Nang to Hue by train, Hoi An to Hue by train
Getting to Hoi An from Da Nang Bus Station
Near the portal of Da Nang Bus Station in Ton Duc Thang St, taxi and motorcycle riders are many to choose from after arriving. See company names and their cost policy here. Generally, the prices have not a big difference. About xe om (traditional motorbike rider), keep in mind to make sense how much for the ride before getting on and experience. Locals often have to pay 150,000 VND minimum. Private cars are allowed to pick up the passengers in the place, read detailed information in their own section for it here.
If you plan to get to Hoi An by bus, it’s never easy to find a seat like here, because Da Nang’s central bus station is a terminal. No.1 Bus parks and waits for passengers near the hall where the coaches drop off. Ticket price is only 20,000 VND and after around 1,5hrs, it stops in Hoi An bus station. See the reschedule, route, pick up points and more here. A small additional fee is charged for big backpacks or suitcases.
Read also: How to get from Da Nang to Hue
Getting to Hoi An from Tien Sa Port
Located by the Monkey Mountain Son Tra, Tien Sa is the largest port in the region. It often allows the cruises to land and passengers to take their first steps ever in the city, and explore. Da Nang shore excursion organizers are many to choose from, accompanied with their diversity of tour options. As one of the most attractive destinations, Hoi An definitely is highly recommended.
Read also: Da Nang excursions
Attractions between Da Nang and Hoi An
The best attraction between Da Nang and Hoi An is the Marble Mountains. It’s a group of 5 striking hills soaring from the flat lands. Boasting of very old temples, captivating caves, beautiful viewpoints and trekking, this is one of the most visited places by tourists in the city. Around its foot, there are marble statues varying in shape, size, color and religion, giving lots of chances to buy souvenirs and gifts. Read our travel guide to the Marble Mountains for further information.
Note: If aiming to travel by bus, it’s not hard to see the marble mountains from a distance. Tell the attendant that you want to stop at the nearest drop-off point, called “Non Nuoc”. After getting off, following the Huyen Tran Cong Chua St.