My Son sanctuary is one of the most popular places to visit for tourists staying overnight in Hoi An, especially those who spend many days there. It’s known for a complex of ancient temples located in the jungle, with the nickname “the Angkor Wat of Vietnam”. Yes, it brings both cultural and natural interests. As a Uneso world heritage site, this site definitely has “universal outstanding values” too. So, how to get there? and what is the best transport?
In this article, we share all the ways to get from Hoi An to My Son sanctuary, including bus, car, taxi, bicycle, motorbike and tours. The best option depends on personal elements, for example, time, travel plan, or budget.
Table of content
- 1 What is My Son Sanctuary?
- 2 Is My Son Sanctuary Worth Visiting?
- 3 Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary by Taxi
- 4 Private Car from Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
- 5 Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary by Motorbike (Scooter)
- 6 Van and Bus from Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
- 7 Getting to My Son Sanctuary from Hoi An by Bicycle
- 8 Hoi An to My Son by Car and Boat
- 9 Hoi An to My Son Tour: Group Tours
- 10 Private My Son Sanctuary Tours
- 11 Related Posts
- 12 Hoi An Memories Show: The Best of Hoi An Impression Theme Park
- 13 Hoi An Bridge: Famous Bridges in Hoi An
- 14 How to Get From Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
- 15 Hoi An’s Chinese Assembly Halls and Chinese Temples
- 16 Hoi An Walking Tours: Heritage, Foods, Photography & Locals
- 17 Hoi An Self Guided Walking Tour (Hoi An By Yourself)
- 18 How to Visit Golden Bridge Vietnam
- 19 Unique Experiences in Hoi An and Why?
- 20 An Bang Beach: A Guide to Hoi An’s Best Beach
- 21 Experiences in Hoi An: Get Insight Into Hoi An’s Local Culture
- 22 Things to Do in Ba Na Hills Besides Golden Bridge
- 23 Hoi An Nightlife: What to Do in Hoi An At Night?
- 24 Hoi An Countryside: Villages, Rice Fields & Tours
- 25 How to Get to Golden Bridge From Hoi An
- 26 Hoi An Entrance Fee: Old Town, Golden Bridge, My Son, More
- 27 Hoi An Airport: Everything You Need to Know
- 28 Hoi An Lantern Boat Ride on Hoai River
- 29 Hoi An Private Car and Driver
- 30 What to Do in Hoi An Ancient Town
- 31 Da Nang and Hoi An Itinerary for Visitors Staying Overnight in Hoi An
- 32 Hoi An 3 Day Itinerary – A Travel Plan for 3 Days in Hoi An
- 33 Hoi An Free Things to Do – Budget Travel in Hoi An Vietnam
- 34 Hoi An One Day Itinerary – A Travel Plan for One Day in Hoi An
- 35 Hoi An Half-Day Tours: Guide to Half Day Trips From Hoi An
- 36 Hoi An Day Tours: A Guide to Best Day Trips From Hoi An
- 37 Hoi An Beach – A Guide to All Beaches in Hoi An Vietnam
- 38 Hoi An Food Specialties
- 39 Hoi An to Da Nang
- 40 Hoi An Cheap Things to Do – All Solo Travelers Need to Know
- 41 Hoi An Best Things To Do – Recommendations from Local Experts
- 42 Hoi An Things to Do – All What Can You Do in Hoi An Vietnam
- 43 Hoi An Things Not to Miss – A Guide to Must Do in Hoi An
- 44 Hoi An or Da Nang – Which is Better?
- 45 Hoi An Pottery Village – A Guide to Thanh Ha Pottery Village
- 46 Hoi An Ancient Town Tour
- 47 Hoi An Old Town Ticket
- 48 My Son Sanctuary Tour
- 49 Hoi An Lanterns – Festival, Making Class, Where to Buy, More
- 50 Hoi An Best Area to Stay – Guide to Where to Stay in Hoi An
- 51 Hoi An Weather by Month – Guide to Hoi An Monthly Weather
- 52 Hoi An River Cruise – Guide to The Best Boat Tour in Hoi An
- 53 Hoi An Old Town Boats – Guide to Boat Rides in Hoi An Town
- 54 Hoi An 2 Day Itinerary – Traveler Guide to 2 Days in Hoi An
- 55 Cham Island Hoi An
- 56 Hoi An Basket Boat Ride
- 57 Hoi An Coconut Village – A Guide to Cam Thanh Coconut Village
- 58 Hoi An Cham Temples – My Son Sanctuary & Quang Nam Temples
- 59 Da Nang Airport to Hoi An
- 60 Da Nang to Hoi An – Best Da Nang Airport Transfer and More
- 61 Hoi An Tour Guide – How to Find a Private Tour Guide in Hoi An
- 62 Hoi An Ancient Town Attractions
- 63 Hoi An Old Town Map
- 64 Tra Que Vegetable Village
- 65 Hoi An Lantern Festival
- 66 Hoi An Night Market: A Thing to Do in Hoi An at Night
- 67 My Son Sanctuary Travel Guide
- 68 Hoi An Old Town Unesco World Heritage – Hoi An Travel Guide
- 69 Featured Tours and Experiences
- 69.0.1 Golden Hands Bridge Tour In Sunrise or Sunset (1/2 Day)
- 69.0.2 Cam Kim Island Bicycle Tour From Hoi An
- 69.0.3 Cham Island Tour From Hoi An (Group Tour)
- 69.0.4 Cham Island Tour From Da Nang (Group Tour)
- 69.0.5 Hoi An Vegetarian Food Tour
- 69.0.6 Hoi An Evening Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 69.0.7 Private Hoi An Basket Boat Tour
- 69.0.8 Half-day Am Phu Cave Tour (Private)
- 69.0.9 Hoi An Countryside Tour (Bicycle, Car, Electric Shuttle)
- 69.0.10 Da Nang Tour Package From Singapore
- 69.0.11 Hoi An Evening Tour From Da Nang
- 69.0.12 Hoi An Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 69.0.13 My Son Sanctuary and Hoi An Old Town Tour with Thu Bon River Cruise
- 69.0.14 My Son Day Trip From Hoi An including Marble Mountains and Basket Boat
- 69.0.15 Half Day Hoi An City Tour With River Cruise
- 69.0.16 Son Tra Peninsula Tour with Marble Mountains (Private/Small Group)
- 69.0.17 Hue Day Trip From Hoi An with Hai Van Pass, River Cruise & Lunch
- 69.0.18 Hoi An Ancient Town and Countryside Tour (Bests of Hoi An Tour)
- 69.0.19 Hoi An Tour From Da Nang Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 69.0.20 Hoi An Day Trip From Da Nang (Marble Mountains, Basket Boat, Old Town)
- 69.0.21 Da Nang City Tour From Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 69.0.22 Hoi An City Tour with Lantern Class, Lantern Boat, Night Market & Local Food Sampling
- 69.0.23 Marble Mountains, Basket Boat Ride & Hoi An Old Town Walking Tour
- 69.0.24 Marble Mountains & Golden Bridge Day Tour with Buffet Lunch
- 69.0.25 Marble Mountains & Monkey Mountain Tour (Half-day, Private)
- 69.0.26 Private Golden Bridge Sunrise Tour (Half-day, Optional Lunch)
- 69.0.27 Hoi An Ancient Town & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 69.0.28 My Son Sanctuary & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 69.0.29 Private My Son Sanctuary Sunrise or Sunset Tour
- 69.0.30 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Countryside Experience With Local
- 69.0.31 Full Day My Son Sanctuary & Hoi An Countryside Tour With Local
- 69.0.32 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Coconut Village Experience
- 69.0.33 Son Tra Peninsula, Marble Mountains and Hoi An City Tour
- 69.0.34 Half-day Marble Mountains Tour from Da Nang or Hoi An
- 69.0.35 Da Nang Cave Tour (Half Day Underground Tour in Da Nang)
- 69.0.36 Hoi An Old Town & Lantern Making Class (Morning Tour, Half-day)
- 69.0.37 Full Day Bests of Da Nang & Hoi An Old Town Walking Tour
- 69.0.38 Full Day My Son Tour From Da Nang with Da Nang City Tour
- 69.0.39 My Son Sanctuary Tour From Hoi An or Da Nang With Local Guide
- 69.0.40 Hue Day Trip from Da Nang or Hoi An via Hai Van Pass with Lunch
What is My Son Sanctuary?
My Son Sanctuary (My Son Holy Land, My Son Ruins, My Son Site) is a Unesco world heritage site, some 40 kilometers from Hoi An and 45 kilometers from Da Nang. It’s known for Hindu temples dating back from 4th century, all in the dense rainforests of the Annamite mountains. Until 13rd century, it still existed as the holiest religious place of the Champa kingdom which ruled the central coast of Vietnam from 2nd to 19th centuries. At its golden age, 70 buildings were constructed. Here, Cham kings organized ceremonies to honour Shiva, god of destroying in Hinduism.
Due to political reasons, My Son temples were abandoned and in the end of 19th century, a party of French men discovered it by mistake. Later, in the 1960s and 1970s, American air forces dropped bombs into them because Vietcong (communists) might hide in their surroundings. Bomb holes are still seen and the landing mine killed several researchers. After all, only 20 buildings survive.
Read also: Hoi An Ancient Town Travel Guide
Is My Son Sanctuary Worth Visiting?
My Son sanctuary is absolutely worth visiting, one of the must-see places in Hoi An and Da Nang. These are reasons:
– My Son is the holy land of Champa, one of the major kingdoms in ancient Southeast Asia. Here, Cham kings organized very important ceremonies from 4th to 13rd centuries and 70 buildings ever existed. So, it’s an ideal place to learn about the history of the kingdom.
– My Son is a valley with streams and forests, home to many wild animals and songbirds. Nature lovers like to trekking trails here.
– My Son was bombed in the Vietnam war (1960s and 1970s). That’s why some of its temples are collapsed and bomb holes are still visible. For those who are interested in this recent conflict, My Son is a must see.
– My Son is the most unique Unesco world heritage site in Vietnam. Building techniques in its temples are still secret.
– Daily show in My Son has fantastic performances that are carried out by Cham boys, girls and experienced artisans. They dance, play traditional drums and blow flute, and wear their own costume.
– Due to the distance from cities, My Son is a perfect option for half day trips.
Read also: Is Hoi An Worth Visiting?
Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary by Taxi
If travelers need to have a private car quickly to go to My Son, a taxi is the choice. There are some taxi companies in Hoi An to choose from, and of course, they own many cars and hire many drivers. If don’t have a local sim card to call one, let’s come to the reception and tell people there the plan. At least, they understand English to help. Make sure that you know the price before making any decision. The fare is metered in Vietnam, and for a long distance drive, such as Hoi An to My Son, it’s about 15,000 VND. Taxi companies also charge passengers parking and waiting fees as extra. One of the troubles they may face is that the drivers will try to reach My Son in a longer route (to have more pay).
For a moderate cost and more reliable driver, travelers can consider having one of our private cars and drivers. In the early morning (before sunrise), it may be impossible to call a taxi because the service isn’t available. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to ask for details and to book.
Read also: Da Nang Private Car and Driver
Private Car from Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
Getting to My Son sanctuary from Hoi An by a private car is amongst the best choices. It is a fact that the bulk of foreign tourists choose this because of its advantages. With a moderate cost, they can start the trip anytime they prefer, and by that, the travel plan is free from time troubles. Its privacy is also suitable for couples, small families with kids, and those who go in the early morning (to see the sunrise).
The price of the private car from Hoi An to My Son sanctuary ranges from 700,000 to 900,000 Vietnamese dong. 7-seaters car is more expensive than a 4-seaters car. It covers two-ways transport, gasoline, parking, tax, toll fees and waiting at My Son (from 2 to 3 hours). A small extra fee will be charged if visitors spend a longer time. When returning to Hoi An, the car can drop off in a restaurant to have food (and then visitors go back to the hotel by themselves).
We have new cars and licensed drivers that are available daily to reach My Son’s temples from your hotel in Hoi An. It’s possible to pick up in another place instead of the hotel. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to chat and book.
Read also: Hoi An Private Car and Driver
Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary by Motorbike (Scooter)
Main article: How to Get to My Son from Hoi An by Motorbike
Many travelers love riding a motorbike (scooter) to My Son sanctuary from Hoi An. Generally, it’s easy to rent a bike in Hoi An. The quickest place to come and ask is the hotel, and if not available or fully booked, nearby rental shops are the next options. The price ranges from 100,000 to 200,000 Vietnamese dong for one day or 24 hours, depending on the providers. It doesn’t cover gasoline, insurance or breakdown or loss of something. On the way to My Son, anyway travelers will see a petrol station.
The best motorbike tour from Hoi An to My Son temples is DT 610 that runs to the south of the Thu Bon river. From everywhere in Hoi An, the riders need to go across the new Cam Kim bridge (near pottery village) and then through Cam Kim island for a while. After villages and rice fields, traffic in Nam Phuoc town is a serious thing to notice. It’s busy and sometimes potentially dangerous. The rest of the tour is of no high traffic, so meaning that driving will be easier. There are some interesting places to stop and visit, such as Tra Kieu church atop the hill. The simplest way to navigate this section is seeing lines of the trees on both sides or following the yellow line in the middle of the road.
If don’t ride a motorbike by yourself (or a travel friend takes you), let’s consider having a motorbike tour. The driver will be a mechanic and also a tour guide who shows you around and provides information (although don’t expect professional guides!). Of course, English is the most popular language the drivers can speak in Hoi An. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to assist with something if needed.
Van and Bus from Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
Your family or group of friends (more than 4 members) can consider having a van to get My Son from Hoi An. The price fluctuates from 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 Vietnam dong (43 to 65 US dollars), for 4-5 hours. While travelers are visiting, the driver is waiting until they finish. If spending a longer time (than 5 hours in total), it’s needed to pay an additional fee. The van picks up at the time as requested, even before the sunrise. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to know further details and book.
When tourists come to Hoi An a lot, local companies may arrange a shuttle bus service (like in the airport). Travelers will be picked up and dropped off in the hotel. Of course, only transport is included, therefore travelers have to pay My Son entry fee at their own expense and visit My Son by themselves. Timing is announced by the guide or driver. In low seasons, it’s difficult to find a shuttle bus.
Read also: How to Get from Da Nang Airport to Hoi An
Getting to My Son Sanctuary from Hoi An by Bicycle
Traveling to My Son sanctuary from Hoi An by bicycle is an off-the-beaten-track experience. It’s easy to hire a bike (or look for guided tours) in Hoi An, to start the trip. On the way to My Son, the rural scenery is lovely and peaceful. At a slow pace, travelers can see rice fields by mountains, villages, lush farms, lotus ponds, Buddhist temples and forests. We highly recommend no to ride on highways and instead of that, backroads through the countryside are nicer. Not all about the views, traffic will be slower or not much and absolutely it’s safer for those who drive. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 if you need a local guide and experice the adventuring route he designs.
When arriving My Son, bicycle riders can park in the same place with scooters. The price may be 5,000 Vietnam dong. Ticket office and main entrance is just a few walks away. Keep in mind to take a free shuttle bus (after the bridge you will see) to skip the long distance to go further inside the valley. Then, travelers have to walk to sightsee temples.
Near Hoi An, Hai Van pass is also a very famous place for cyclists. It’s known as the most pretty coastline in Vietnam. See more information in our Hai Van pass travel guide. By the way, this natural wonder is half way to Hue, another tourist destination.
Read also: Bicycle Routes in Hoi An
Hoi An to My Son by Car and Boat
It’s possible to get to My Son from Hoi An by both car and boat (in guided tours only). First of all, the guide will assist travelers to reach the boat station by car and then they can enjoy a relaxing cruise trip on Thu Bon river. The ride is around 40 minutes. After landing, the car continues moving to My Son sanctuary. During this drive, the local guide explains the history and culture of the Chams and their heritages, with details. Text us in whatsapp number +84968009827 for more advice and arrangement for you.
In the afternoon, travelers can request to have this boat trip, but in the opposite direction: My Son to Hoi An. It’s possible to see a brilliant sunset on the river and then drop off in the Ancient town (to have dinner and nightlife).
Read also: Basket Boat Tour in Hoi An
Hoi An to My Son Tour: Group Tours
My Son Morning Tour
Group My Son morning tour is a good option to save. Pick up time often is between 7 and 8 am, in the hotel and drop off time is around 2 pm. The tour’s price includes 2-ways transport (size of the vehicle up to number of visitors booked), English speaking tour guide and bottled water. This means that visitors may pay My Son entrance ticket (150,000 VND) by themselves. Lunch is also optional. If it’s an inclusion, the food served is Mi Quang noodle, a regional specialty dish. To provide more experiences, some local companies bring visitors to a local house where they’re trained to make rice noodles (or rice papers). A boat trip downstream Thu Bon river is also in the package. Contact us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to know further details and book.
My Son Afternoon Tour
The itinerary of group My Son afternoon tours is similar to the morning tour above. However, visitors don’t need to wake up early instead. In addition, My Son is busy in the morning, so sightseeing in the afternoon will be a smarter choice. On the way back to Hoi An, sunset on the river is the second highlight, besides Hindu temples. Again, contact us in whatsapp number +84968009827 to know more details and the price.
Read also: Marble Mountains and Monkey Mountain Tour
Private My Son Sanctuary Tours
My Son Sunrise Tour
Sunrise is one of the best times to visit My Son sanctuary. Not only to avoid the strong heat, visitors also can avoid the crowds. We recommend leaving Hoi An between 5 and 5:30 am, and one hour later, the car arrives at My Son. The early birds and their English-speaking tour guide will spend a couple of hours to see and learn about the temples. Sunrise is when it’s really cool, fresh, peaceful and perfect for taking pictures. Browse our My Son sunrise tour to know further information.
In the afternoon, with the same purpose, visitors can leave Hoi An at 2 pm. After the tour, the car drops them off in the Old town if requested. Then, they have time for dinner and nightlife later. Read What to do in Hoi An at night to have more ideas for the trip.
My Son Day Trip from Hoi An
A day trip from Hoi An to My Son sanctuary and other must-see attractions is what many travelers need. In the morning, it’s time to visit this world heritage site and learn about Cham people or their own kingdom – Champa. After sightseeing, visitors are introduced to try Mi quang noodle, the specialty food of the whole area as lunch. It features a bowl of white and soft rice noodles served with meat, raw vegetables, a bold broth and rice crackers.
In the rest of the tour, visitors will see the Marble mountains and enjoy a basket boat ride. In the first place, it’s needed to climb stairs to get to the best sights: Buddhist temples, the peak and caves. See full details in My Son day trip from Hoi An.
Private My Son Tour with River Cruise
On the way back to Hoi An, travelers have one more option: cruising Thu Bon river by boat (downstream). After visiting My Son sanctuary, the car/van is still needed to take travelers to the boat station. This ride allows them to cool down with breezes, view peaceful rural areas or daily life of people and take great photos. It’s a way to make My Son tour different. If possible to have it at sunset, that will be a really wonderful memory in the trip so far. The beauty of nature is at its best during the time.
Prior to arriving at Hoi An, some tours stop at one of two traditional handicraft making villages (Kim Bong and Thanh Ha) or both of them. Kim Bong village is home of skillful carpenters and boat builders, while Thanh Ha is famous for its craft in making pottery. From the landing place (maybe Ancient town), travelers can decide to have transfer service to return to the hotel or explore by themselves onwards. The Town has many good restaurants to have lunch or dinner.
Leave a Reply