Hoi An is not only by the river, but also the sea. Fishing for a very long time is one of main sources of income for local residents, especially those living in fishing villages. The best way to meet fishermen and see the fishes they catch or just to see local seafood, is visiting a fish market. Thanh Ha fish market is a good choice because it’s right in Hoi An central area and connects with the rest of the city by major streets. So, it’s so convenient. This article provides everything visitors need to know about it.
Table of content
- 1 Things You Need to Know about Thanh Ha Fish Market
- 2 Where is Thanh Ha Fish Market?
- 3 How to Get to Thanh Ha Fish Market
- 4 Places to Visit near Thanh Ha Fish Market
- 5 Hoi An Tours Including Thanh Ha Fish Market
- 6 Other Fish Markets in and near Hoi An
- 7 Thanh Ha Fish Market on Google Maps
- 8 Related Posts
- 9 Kim Bong Carpentry Village in Cam Kim Island
- 10 Thanh Ha Fish Market: The Nearest Fish Market of Hoi An
- 11 Da Nang International Airport: Terminals, Transfers, More
- 12 Da Nang International Fireworks Festival
- 13 Da Nang Night River Cruise on Han River
- 14 An Dinh Palace: The Residence of Vietnam’s Last King
- 15 The Best Time to Visit Hoi An
- 16 Hue Tourist Attractions: A List of What You Can See in Hue
- 17 Dong Khanh Tomb: The Lovely Imperial Tomb of Hue City
- 18 Dong Ba Market – Where to Shop and Eat in Hue City Vietnam
- 19 The Bamboo Circus Show (Teh Dar Show) at Hoi An Lune Center
- 20 Cycling in Hoi An: Rental, Where to Cycle and Tours
- 21 Getting from Hue to Hoi An: Which is the Best Way?
- 22 The Official Da Nang Travel Guide [MUST READ]
- 23 Cam Kim Island: The Peaceful Countryside of Hoi An
- 24 Cua Dai Beach: The Famous Beach of Hoi An
- 25 The Japanese Covered Bridge in Hoi An Old Town
- 26 My Lai Massacre Village (Son My Memorial Site) in Quang Ngai
- 27 Non Nuoc Beach: The Famous Beach of Da Nang
- 28 How to Get from Da Nang to My Son Sanctuary
- 29 Thieu Tri Tomb: The Peaceful Royal Tomb of Hue
- 30 Bach Ma National Park: Hiking, Trekking in Da Nang and Hoi An
- 31 Hoi An Wet Season: What to Do in Hoi An When It Rains?
- 32 Hue to Da Nang By Train: The Best Train Ride in Vietnam
- 33 Hue Royal Tombs: A Complete Guide and What is Best?
- 34 The Hue Abandoned Water Park (Thuy Tien Lake Waterpark)
- 35 Minh Mang Tomb Complete Visitor Guide
- 36 Tu Duc Tomb Complete Visitor Guide
- 37 Thanh Ha Terracotta Park
- 38 Vinwonders Nam Hoi An Theme Park (formerly Vinpearl Nam Hoi An)
- 39 Am Phu Cave Complete Travel Guide
- 40 Hoi An or Hue: Which is Better?
- 41 Asia Park and Sun Wheel in Da Nang (Sun World Da Nang Wonders)
- 42 The Official Hoi An Travel Guide (MUST READ)
- 43 The Hoi An Market (Hoi An Central Market) Complete Guide
- 44 Hoi An Memories Show: The Best of Hoi An Impression Theme Park
- 45 How to Get to Golden Bridge from Da Nang
- 46 Hoi An Bridge: Famous Bridges in Hoi An
- 47 Da Nang Food Specialties: What to Eat in Da Nang
- 48 How to Get From Hoi An to My Son Sanctuary
- 49 Hoi An’s Chinese Assembly Halls and Chinese Temples
- 50 Hoi An Walking Tours: Heritage, Foods, Photography & Locals
- 51 Hoi An Self Guided Walking Tour (Hoi An By Yourself)
- 52 How to Visit Golden Bridge Vietnam
- 53 Da Nang Shore Excursions: Guided Tours From Tien Sa Port
- 54 Unique Experiences in Hoi An and Why?
- 55 Han Market (Cho Han): Where to Shop in Da Nang?
- 56 An Bang Beach: A Guide to Hoi An’s Best Beach
- 57 Experiences in Hoi An: Get Insight Into Hoi An’s Local Culture
- 58 Da Nang Cathedral (Da Nang Pink Church)
- 59 Things to Do in Ba Na Hills Besides Golden Bridge
- 60 Hoi An Nightlife: What to Do in Hoi An At Night?
- 61 Hoi An Countryside: Villages, Rice Fields & Tours
- 62 How to Get to Golden Bridge From Hoi An
- 63 Hoi An Entrance Fee: Old Town, Golden Bridge, My Son, More
- 64 Hoi An Airport: Everything You Need to Know
- 65 Hoi An Lantern Boat Ride on Hoai River
- 66 Da Nang Half Day Tours
- 67 Hoi An Private Car and Driver
- 68 Da Nang Private Car and Driver
- 69 What to Do in Hoi An Ancient Town
- 70 Da Nang and Hoi An Itinerary for Visitors Staying Overnight in Hoi An
- 71 Hoi An 3 Day Itinerary: A Travel Plan for 3 Days in Hoi An
- 72 Hoi An Free Things to Do: Budget Travel in Hoi An Vietnam
- 73 Hoi An One Day Itinerary: A Travel Plan for One Day in Hoi An
- 74 Da Nang Things to Do: Guide to What to Do in Da Nang Vietnam
- 75 Da Nang Best Things to Do and Reasons
- 76 Hoi An Half-Day Tours: Guide to Half Day Trips From Hoi An
- 77 Hoi An Day Tours: A Guide to Best Day Trips From Hoi An
- 78 Hoi An Beach: A Guide to All Beaches in Hoi An Vietnam
- 79 Hoi An Food Specialties
- 80 How to Get From Hoi An to Da Nang
- 81 Hoi An Cheap Things to Do: All Solo Travelers Need to Know
- 82 Hoi An Best Things To Do: Recommendations from Local Experts
- 83 Hoi An Things to Do: All What Can You Do in Hoi An Vietnam
- 84 Hoi An Things Not to Miss: A Guide to Must Do in Hoi An
- 85 Hoi An or Da Nang: Which is Better?
- 86 Hoi An Pottery Village: A Guide to Thanh Ha Pottery Village
- 87 Hoi An Ancient Town Tour
- 88 Hoi An Old Town Ticket: Price, Sellers, Included Sites, More
- 89 My Son Sanctuary Tour
- 90 Hoi An Lanterns: Festival, Making Class, Where to Buy, More
- 91 Hoi An Best Area to Stay: Guide to Where to Stay in Hoi An
- 92 Hoi An Weather by Month: Guide to Hoi An Monthly Weather
- 93 Da Nang Best Area to Stay: Guide to Where to Stay in Da Nang
- 94 Da Nang Cave Tour: Best Underground Activities in Da Nang
- 95 Da Nang Best Time to Visit: Guide to Best Weather in Da Nang
- 96 Da Nang Weather by Month: Guide to Monthly Weather in Da Nang
- 97 What to Do in Da Nang At Night
- 98 Lang Co Vietnam Travel Guide
- 99 Hoi An River Cruise: Guide to The Best Boat Tour in Hoi An
- 100 What to Do in Da Nang for 3 Days
- 101 Hoi An Old Town Boats: Guide to Boat Rides in Hoi An Town
- 102 Hoi An 2 Day Itinerary: Traveler Guide to 2 Days in Hoi An
- 103 Cham Island Hoi An
- 104 Hoi An Basket Boat Ride
- 105 Hoi An Coconut Village: A Guide to Cam Thanh Coconut Village
- 106 My Khe Beach: A Complete Guide to Da Nang’s Best Beach
- 107 Thien Mu Pagoda: Guide to Hue’s Most Famous Buddhist Temple
- 108 Perfume River Cruise: Guide to Best Boat Tour in Hue Vietnam
- 109 Featured Tours and Experiences
- 109.0.1 Da Nang Day Trip from Hoi An with Local Food Lunch
- 109.0.2 Da Nang Night Tour from Hoi An with Local Food Dinner
- 109.0.3 Hue to Hoi An Private Car Transfer with Sightseeing (and Vice Versa)
- 109.0.4 Hue to Hoi An Motorbike Tour (and Vice Versa)
- 109.0.5 Hai Van Pass Motorbike Tour from Hoi An or Da Nang
- 109.0.6 Full Day My Lai Massacre Tour with Lunch
- 109.0.7 Golden Bridge and Ba Na Hills Night Tour
- 109.0.8 Golden Hands Bridge Tour In Sunrise or Sunset (1/2 Day)
- 109.0.9 Cam Kim Island Bicycle Tour From Hoi An
- 109.0.10 Cham Island Tour From Hoi An (Group Tour)
- 109.0.11 Cham Island Tour From Da Nang (Group Tour)
- 109.0.12 Hoi An Vegetarian Food Tour
- 109.0.13 Hoi An Evening Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 109.0.14 Private Hoi An Basket Boat Tour (Shuttle Bus, Bicycle, Bike)
- 109.0.15 Half-day Am Phu Cave Tour (Private)
- 109.0.16 Hoi An Countryside Tour (Bicycle, Car, Electric Shuttle)
- 109.0.17 Da Nang Tour Package From Singapore
- 109.0.18 Hoi An Evening Tour From Da Nang
- 109.0.19 Hoi An Walking Food Tour Through Laneways
- 109.0.20 My Son Sanctuary and Hoi An Old Town Tour with Thu Bon River Cruise
- 109.0.21 My Son Day Trip From Hoi An including Marble Mountains and Basket Boat
- 109.0.22 Half Day Hoi An City Tour With River Cruise
- 109.0.23 Son Tra Peninsula Tour with Marble Mountains (Private/Small Group)
- 109.0.24 Hue Day Trip From Hoi An with Hai Van Pass, River Cruise & Lunch
- 109.0.25 Hoi An Ancient Town and Countryside Tour (Bests of Hoi An Tour)
- 109.0.26 Hoi An Tour From Da Nang Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 109.0.27 Hoi An Day Trip From Da Nang (Marble Mountains, Basket Boat, Old Town)
- 109.0.28 Da Nang City Tour From Airport (Private, Optional Lunch)
- 109.0.29 Hoi An City Tour with Lantern Class, Lantern Boat, Night Market & Local Food Sampling
- 109.0.30 Marble Mountains, Basket Boat Ride & Hoi An Old Town Walking Tour
- 109.0.31 Marble Mountains & Golden Bridge Day Tour with Buffet Lunch
- 109.0.32 Marble Mountains & Monkey Mountain Tour (Half-day, Private)
- 109.0.33 Private Golden Bridge Sunrise Tour (Half-day, Optional Lunch)
- 109.0.34 Hoi An Ancient Town & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 109.0.35 My Son Sanctuary & Golden Bridge Day Tour (Private/Small Group)
- 109.0.36 Private My Son Sanctuary Sunrise or Sunset Tour
- 109.0.37 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Countryside Experience With Local
- 109.0.38 Full Day My Son Sanctuary & Hoi An Countryside Tour With Local
- 109.0.39 Full Day Hoi An Ancient Town & Coconut Village Experience
- 109.0.40 Son Tra Peninsula, Marble Mountains and Hoi An City Tour
Things You Need to Know about Thanh Ha Fish Market
Thanh Ha fish market (or Cam Ha fish market or Cho ca Thanh Ha) is the second largest fresh and living fish market in Hoi An. It’s to the west of Hoi An old town world heritage site. Its name comes from the village it’s located in, Thanh Ha village. This village is known for traditional pottery production which was recognized as a national intangible cultural heritage.
Everyday, Thanh Ha fish market opens from 4-5 to 7 am. If come later, fishermen and fish sellers, buyers are gone already. Local women here have a variety of fresh and living fishes and seafood for sale with a cheap price. That’s why local people and restaurants are here as early as possible. Which kind of fish we will see, really depends on different times/seasons of the year. This market has not only sea fishes but also fresh water fishes (and others) from rivers, ponds or swamps in the area. If going with a local friend or tour guide, he/she definitely tells their names, and how to use them for cooking.
Tip: Travelers can stand on Cam Kim bridge to see the entire Thanh Ha fish market from above. It’s nice for photography too.
Due to the weather, the best time to visit Thanh Ha fish market is between January and August. During this period, it’s sunny and the sea is calm, perfect to catch fishes. From September to December, rains are more frequent, making bad weather and typhoons may appear. Of course, fishermen will stay home and by that, not many things to see in the market. The experience is kind of boring.
In the same place, the Thanh Ha market sells other food ingredients and other necessities (except fishes). It’s not big and hasn’t so many sellers and vendors, so visiting time may be short.
Tip: To see Thanh Ha fish market, travelers can look for a tour with it in the itinerary and stop for a while. We suggest a My Son sunrise tour from Hoi An.
Where is Thanh Ha Fish Market?
Thanh Ha fish market is in Thanh Ha pottery making village, by the intersection of Duy Tan St, Hung Vuong St and 18 thang 3 St. It’s also by the Thu Bon river, under the new Cam Kim bridge. From Hoi An city centre or Hoi An old town, the distance is nearly 3 km. It’s 6 km from An Bang beach and 9,5 km from Cua Dai beach.
How to Get to Thanh Ha Fish Market
Because Thanh Ha fish market opens in the early morning, travelers should consider using personal vehicles. Most local people use the motorbike to get there. From the day or at least night before, early risers can hire a scooter at the hotel and it must be full of gasoline. In the next morning, it’s just needed to take it and go. The bicycle is also very helpful and simpler to arrange because it may be right there, in the hotel for free.
From Hoi An, there are two roads to reach Thanh Ha fish market: Hung Vuong St and 28 thang 3 St (Hai Muoi Tam Thang Ba St). Both of them are wide and there is absolutely no traffic before sunrise. The market is at an intersection under the bridge, with a traffic light. Please be careful when riding across the roads. No parking lots are at the market, so it means you can leave the bike everywhere but please lock it.
Some tours include Thanh Ha fish market in the itinerary. In private transfers, travelers can request to stop here to have a quick visit if convenient (such as going to My Son sanctuary).
Getting by boat is possible but we think that it takes a long time to connect with locals and arrange everything by yourself. No bus or train is available at the moment.
Places to Visit near Thanh Ha Fish Market
Thanh Ha Pottery Village, Thanh Ha Terracotta Park
Thanh Ha fish market is at the entrance of Thanh Ha pottery village, a traditional handicraft community in Hoi An. To see workshops or houses where local artisans (and family) teach visitors to make a pottery item, it’s needed to go along Duy Tan St until its end. Ticket price is 35,000 VND for adults and children above 15 years old. See more information and details in https://centralvietnamguide.com/thanh-ha-pottery-village/.
Kim Bong Carpentry Village
Go over Cam Kim island and get to the other side, travelers can see Cam Kim island. This is a countryside mosaiced of villages, rice fields, bamboo forests and vegetable gardens. Kim Bong carpentry village is here. Local residents have been building fishing boats and carving sculptures and furniture since the 17th century. Today, skilled artists also preserve heritage houses in the Hoi An old town world heritage. See more information about the village in https://centralvietnamguide.com/kim-bong-carpentry-village.
Hoi An Old Town
The Hoi An ancient town is 3 km west of Thanh Ha fish market. It’s a Unesco world heritage site, and an excellently well-preserved trading town of Asians. This is a must see. From the market, travelers need to go on Hung Vuong St and then Nguyen Du St to see the Song Hoai square. There, parking service is available.
Hoi An Tours Including Thanh Ha Fish Market
Our My Son sunrise tour includes the Thanh Ha fish market in the itinerary. After picking up at the hotel in Hoi An at 5 am, our guide and driver will take you to this interesting place to see first. Here, you have a couple of minutes to go around, know about fishes and seafood, and take pictures. Then, head to My Son sanctuary (the tour aims to avoid the crowds and heat). In My Son, you’ll sightsee every temple and group of temples which are open for tourists. Our guide definitely explains history and culture with details, to ensure that you have much better understanding about the site. My Son was inscribed as a Unesco world heritage site in 1999.
Other Fish Markets in and near Hoi An
There are some early morning fish markets in Hoi An and they’re very stunning to visit. Besides Thanh Ha fish market, in the Old town, travelers can go to the Hoi An central market (by the river). This place is the easiest to reach. By the Thu Bon river estuary, Duy Hai fish market is the biggest. Before the sun rises, so many large boats dock here to offload fish and seafood. The best time to visit is summertime (from March to August). Chefs and restaurants buy fresh, living ingredients here to serve the foodies in town.
In Tam Ky, Tam Tien fish market is the best fish market to go. Fishermen still dock the boats by the beach and sell what they catch right there. The scene is really worth it to see and photograph. It’s 100% real for a fishing village life. We will say that there are no tourists in Tam Tien fish market for most of the year.